B r e a k f a s t W i t h T h e B e e s

A sharing on the Birth, and Life

of a Honey Bee Colony at Grass Lake Sanctuary, grasslakesanctuary.org

Manchester, Michigan


Wednesday, October 12, 2011

September 11, 2011: All Is well

Hi Everyone,

Well, the bees seem fine, no more dragging out of unborn larvae - just lots of harvesting!
There is so much I don't know, as well as some conventional practices I learn about that just dont feel right for me to do, so it is a day to day exploration.  The big thing now is learning different approaches to winterizing the hives and see which combinations might feel right for this group of bees.

It continues to be endlessly fascinating to me - which I continue to feel incredibly grateful for  - this gift
I could watch and take video all day long - I fill up my camera card every time!
here are 4 video clips from today, I hope you enjoy them : )

I realized that I could narrate with the video so you get a little bit of that too.

The wood around the observation window shrunk and warped the Plexiglas leaving a gap into the hive.
I was hoping the bees would seal it up - and stay on the inside so I could put the door back on, but they haven't.  It has been a bit of an exploration as to how to manage it?  Ive tried several approaches the latest being a hinged overhang door that doesn't squish them upon closing but also leaves too much outside exposure come winter time.  I trust they'll help guide me and let me know their preferences in time...
May I be available to their needs..



I saw a bumble bee go in with sacs of pollen on her legs?  Ive read that they usually dont allow visitors of others species? 
It was fun to imagine Aunt Bessie coming in to to visit - with her bags full, telling stories from a far to all the youngsters gathered on the floor of the hive : )


and more home videos : )



lost in the hum of the bees .....





No comments:

Post a Comment