B r e a k f a s t W i t h T h e B e e s

A sharing on the Birth, and Life

of a Honey Bee Colony at Grass Lake Sanctuary, grasslakesanctuary.org

Manchester, Michigan


Wednesday, October 12, 2011

July 30, 2011: A "Normal" Relationship

6 weeks after moving in -
You'll see where I moved the center board (Fowler board) back further in their home to give them room to expand.
I was a little unsure how they'd be - me going in there and unfastening that board, now that they have babies, pollen and honey stores to protect.
Yet - one step at a time, working the board free which was well secured with their own tree-resin product called propolis, revealed no troubles at all - seemingly little disturbance to them -
in fact Id say they felt inviting!  I had my head practically inside the hive trying to see and be sure not to pinch any feet when placing the top bars back, and trying to get photos - they didn't seem bothered at all.
I never did buy a bee suit - planned to - just never got around to it for some reason...
Reflecting back on this experience with them I felt how "suiting up" to approach these bees would be like suiting up to approach my cats. 
That it actually would take a lot to provoke them,
but when in "normal" relationship - they feel to be so far in complete relationship back.
This is my experience.
I remain touched once again by these bees.
They have changed my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment