B r e a k f a s t W i t h T h e B e e s

A sharing on the Birth, and Life

of a Honey Bee Colony at Grass Lake Sanctuary, grasslakesanctuary.org

Manchester, Michigan


Thursday, August 2, 2012

News Since April! Part One: A New Swarm, A New Home

Hello,
An exciting event happeed on May 13th,  my apologies for the late entries!
The event is summarized in the brief video interview below,
and,
 if you want the details continue reading....
a 3- part story is told over the next three posts...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RybHxmiOYA&feature=youtu.be

Part One: 
I went out to the land Sunday, Mother's day to check on things... and what timing indeed!
I was going to go in the morning, but since it was rainy, delayed my trip until the afternoon.
The bee observatory (a new and unique structure being built for the bees on the land) looks super cool, yet needs some work, before it is ready.
I checked on the bees down the lane, and boy, although I didn't actually look inside, the hive energy seem swollen - full, ready to pop, but I was trying to stay optimistic that they'd wait until we had the home ready.
I went back to the new structure and was taking some measurements for things that were needed.
I was then on the phone with someone, until I sensed something in the background that was distracting me - a noise, I told the person on the phone I had to go -
The noise was a
loud hum ... inside I sensed what was happening... I could feel the vibration of the bees in my body as I walked back down the lane. The hum got louder and louder until there I was, standing in a huge, and most beautiful cloud of bees - stretching out 40 feet or more around me. Hard to imagine all those bees were inside the small hive.
There was a bit of wistfulness - that I did not have a home prepared for them, but that soon dissipated in the amazing beauty of the swarm - another birth, a miracle to witness.
Amidst the beauty of the swarm
The swarm started to gather in a small maple tree near by - about 30 feet from the home hive.
May you find a good home!
Not far from home
continued in Part Two - next post

No comments:

Post a Comment